The Constellations Center for Equity in Computing (Constellations) will assist 20 high schools in Georgia to start a Computer Science Honor Society (CSHS) for their students. High schools that offer CSHS programs create thriving environments for success in computing courses while encouraging student academic excellence and promoting service within their community.
The CSHS program is sponsored by the Computer Science Teachers Association.
Starting in the 2021-22 academic year, Constellations will assist schools by providing funds for the first year only. The funds will be directed toward initial fees to start a CSHS for up to 20 students in each school (or a maximum of $300 per school). The application deadline is April 23, 2021. Selected schools will be notified in mid-May.
Selection criteria include:
- School must have an established computer science (CS) program (at least two (2) computer science courses offered and preferably including an advanced CS course such as AP Computer Science Principles or AP Computer Science A).
- School serves a majority of underrepresented students (including AAPI, Black/African American, Hispanic, Native American) and/or serves a majority of students qualifying for free and reduced lunch.
- Students enrolled in the current CS program are proportionally representative of the school’s student demographics; or school commits to equitable student recruitment practices into all levels of CS courses (including advanced CS courses) such that students enrolled in the CS courses are proportionally representative of the entire student population.
- School commits to equitable student recruitment practices into the CSHS such that it is proportionally representative of the school’s student demographics.
- School commits to recruiting at least 50% female students into the CSHS.
- School agrees to conduct fundraising activities or secure school budgetary means to sustain the CSHS beyond the first year of initialization.
Only high schools in Georgia that do not have a current CSHS are eligible to apply. We encourage computer science teachers, counselors, or administrators to apply for their school. For questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Core Values of the CSHS:
- Equity: A realization that any student has the potential to enroll, grow, and excel in computing.
- Service: Empowering members to become ambassadors of the computer science discipline, helping underscore its importance as a mainstay in the school and community.
- Excellence: A commitment to promoting outstanding scholarship in computer science coursework.
Click here for more information on the CSHS via CSTA.
Click here to apply for the Constellations funding.